Registering and Course Approval for Study Abroad
1. Review the Approved Course List for Study Abroad Programs on the Registrar's website.
There are two types of study abroad courses at Hollins:Pre-Approved Courses: Courses which have already been approved by Hollins faculty for credit appear in the registrar’s spreadsheet of approved courses. If a course you wish to take has already been approved for the type of credit you want (major, minor, perspective, free elective), enter a check in the Pre-Approved column; no further paperwork is required.
Pending Approval Courses: Courses which have not yet* been approved by Hollins faculty. If a course you wish to take has not yet been approved or has not been approved for the type of credit you want, you need to do the following:
2. After getting the department chair's approval, submit the approval form + syllabus to the registrar’s office for processing. They will process it and add it to the Approved Abroad Course spreadsheet. This process can be done in-person or via email. It is up to you to submit the approval before departing for your study abroad experience.
*There is no guarantee that new courses will be approved. Getting courses approved in advance and notifying us as soon as possible of any changes in your course selections will help avoid unpleasant surprises when you return to campus.
2. Complete the Affiliated Study Abroad Proposed Course List form with your advisor
IMPORTANT: All Hollins students are required to take a minimum of 14- credit hours (full-time Hollins course load) while they are abroad. Failure to enroll in the minimum amount of credit hours will have a variety of unpleasant consequences, most notably that you will lose all financial aid for the abroad semester and become liable for the full program cost.
a. Enter the appropriate information in section A of the form. Include all requested information.
b. In Section B, list your tentative course choices- you can find course offerings for our partner programs here on our website.
c. In the fourth column—Major, Minor, Perspective, Free Elective—you must indicate how you want the course to count toward your graduation requirements. If you want it to fulfill a general education perspective, indicate which perspective you are seeking.
* This form does NOT indicate advisor/ IP Department approval of any particular course that you have listed. If you need a course approved, follow the steps listed above for Pending Approval Courses with your academic advisor.
3. Upload your Affiliated Study Abroad Proposed Course List to your StudioAbroad account
Like at Hollins, whether or not a course will be offered through one of our partner programs depends on a variety of things, to include course enrollment, faculty availability, etc. It is possible that a course on your Proposed Course List will be unavailable for your term abroad. Because of this we also ask that students submit a Finalized Course List once you arrive to your abroad destination.
4. Upload your Finalized Course List to your StudioAbroad account
If you enroll in a new course or alter your schedule in any way from your Proposed Course List once you arrive on your host campus, it is your responsibility to request approval for any new course taken during your semester abroad, and to keep your advisor(s) informed of any changes made.
- It is very important to bring copies of the syllabus and any written work you do for every course you take back to campus with you . If there is any question about credit, these documents will be invaluable.
- Every class you take will appear on your Hollins transcript. You cannot take a course “just for fun” and ask upon return not to have it included in your transcript. Likewise, you cannot request that a course that you took and did badly in be excluded from your transcript.
- Courses on abroad programs cannot be taken on a pass/fail basis. All of the courses and grades that appear on your abroad program transcript will appear on your Hollins transcript. All grades will be calculated into your Hollins GPA.
- You should complete the course approval process before leaving campus at the end of the term preceding your study abroad . When your study abroad transcript arrives at the registrar’s office, any courses that have not been approved will be entered with a grade of “I” (incomplete) on your Hollins record until you complete the approval process outlined here. If the course approval is not received by the end of the term following your term abroad, the “I” will automatically change to an “F” on your Hollins transcript.
Questions about the registration and course approval process should be directed to: Erin Carney, IP Coordinator: Turner A-25; firstname.lastname@example.org