Skip to content

Course Approval for Hollins Students

To receive course credit

For affiliated programs (Arcadia College for Global Studies, Kansai Gaidai U., UDLA, Spanish Studies Abroad, U. of Limerick, London Metropolitan U, School for Field Studies, U. of Ghana, Ludwigsburg U. of Education, ICCS), complete Steps 1-3 before leaving campus for study abroad. Complete Step 4 as soon as possible after your course schedule has been finalized overseas.

There is no guarantee that new courses will be approved. Getting courses approved in advance and notifying us as soon as possible of any changes in your course selections will help avoid unpleasant surprises when you return to campus.

 1. Complete the form titled Affiliated Study Abroad Proposed Course List.

a. Enter the appropriate information in section A of the form. Include all requested information.

b. In Section B, list your tentative course choices in the first three columns (these should match those you put on your program application).

c. In the fourth column—Major, Minor, Perspective, Free Elective—you must indicate how you want the course to count toward your graduation requirements. If you want it to fulfill a general education perspective, indicate which perspective you are seeking.

d. In the fifth and sixth columns, check either Pre-Approved or Pending Approval, as follows:

PRE-APPROVED: Courses which have already been approved by the Hollins faculty for credit appear in the registrar’s spreadsheet of approved courses, which can be found by clicking on the Registrar’s Office Homepage link on the Academics tab of, and in the approved courses binders in the Office of International Programs . If a course you wish to take has already been approved for the type of credit you want (major, minor, perspective, free elective), enter a check in the Pre-Approved column. No further paperwork is required.

PENDING APPROVAL: If a course you wish to take has not yet been approved or has not been approved for the type of credit you want, check the Pending Approval column on your Proposed Course List. To request approval for credit for a course, you need two things: 1) an Approval for Hollins-Affiliated Abroad Course, (see link below), and 2) a course description and / or a course syllabus from the institution’s or program’s website, catalog, or course list. The course approval form is also available on the Registrar’s Office Homepage. Staple the course description to the approval form and take it to the assistant registrar.

e. Section C requires your signature as well as your academic advisor(s).

2. Make an appointment with your academic advisor(s).

Take your Proposed Course List and all corresponding documentation to the appointment. Review your choices with your advisor(s). Their signature(s) on the Faculty Advisor Signature line at the bottom of the Proposed Course List indicates their approval of your proposed course list. This does NOT indicate their approval of any particular course. Specific course approval is confirmed separately through the Registrar.

3. Send us your Proposed Course List

Please email or bring a hard copy of your Proposed Course List to the international programs office after your appointment with your advisor. Next, take your Approval for Affiliated Abroad Course forms (one for each ‘pending approval’ course) with attached course descriptions to the registrar’s office.

4. Notify the IP Coordinator of your actual schedule

Please email Dr. Jeanette Barbieri, Director, ( your actual schedule once you have completed registration at your study abroad site. If you enroll in courses not previously approved, the assistant registrar will request approvals from the appropriate department chair after you provide the necessary documentation.

It is your responsibility to follow up with the registrar’s office to confirm that your courses are approved.

Important Reminders

It is very important to bring copies of the syllabus and any written work you do for every course you take back to campus with you . If there is any question about credit, these documents will be invaluable.

Every class you take will appear on your Hollins transcript. You cannot take a course “just for fun” and ask upon return not to have it included in your transcript. Likewise, you cannot request that a course that you took and did badly in be excluded from your transcript.

Courses on abroad programs cannot be taken on a pass/fail basis. All of the courses and grades that appear on your abroad program transcript will appear on your Hollins transcript. All grades will be calculated into your Hollins GPA.

You should complete the course approval process before leaving campus at the end of the term preceding your study abroad . When your study abroad transcript arrives at the registrar’s office, any courses that have not been approved will be entered with a grade of “I” (incomplete) on your Hollins record until you complete the approval process outlined here. If the course approval is not received by the end of the term following your term abroad, the “I” will automatically change to an “F” on your Hollins transcript.

Questions about this process should be directed to: International Programs office inside Turner Hall. Or by e-mail




Last modified 10/12/2016